City of McKinney, TX
Apply Online at : https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofmckinney/jobs/2471858/gis-analyst?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
$54,918.00 - $79,631.00 Annually
Texas 75069, TX
6/21/2019 5:00 PM Central
WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to
make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an
opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest
growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named
"The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor,
everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better
place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist.
OUR CORE VALUES
of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we
also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four
employee-inspired values – Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence
(RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and
support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are
expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us
sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance
SUMMARY OF POSITION
the supervision of the GIS Supervisor, the GIS Analyst conducts
geographical research and analysis; designs, develops, and implements
interfaces with GIS and other systems; consults with users to determine
GIS needs; creates and maintains GIS data, maps, web maps, web services,
scripts and programs. The GIS Analyst should have strong skills in
cartographic design, analytical geography, database design and
management, programming, project management, and communication
(including strong writing skills). Supervisory responsibilities and
project management are also common responsibilities with the Analyst
supervising technicians and interns.
Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making
McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these
expectations for all employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills,
and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external
training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
develops, and maintains citywide GIS data, maps, web maps, web
services, scripts and programs using GIS tools, and relational
databases; should have strong skills in cartographic design, analytical
geography, database design and management, programming, project
management, and communication (including strong writing skills).
geospatial research and analysis using various GIS analytical tools
(i.e., spatial analyst, 3D analyst, business Analyst); analyzes results
to support department decision-making.
- Develops and codes
SQL to automate common GIS tasks and procedures.
- Ensure data quality and metadata standards are met.
troubleshoots and resolves GIS application problems; communicates with
internal and external technical resources to resolve end user issues;
provides guidance to users on methods for correcting reported problems.
GIS Supervisor and GIS System Administrator with streamlining processes
and improve efficacy of the GIS program; assist with operational and
- Provides advanced technical support
and leadership in the use of ArcGIS products and GIS related programs
to accomplish and support intra-departmental and inter-departmental
projects and programs; Guides and mentors other GIS staff
- Serves as department contact for service, regardless of assigned application system(s) issues.
and logs all work-related activity in departmental service support
ticketing system and facilitate best practices for customer service
- Works toward maintaining awareness of new technologies
and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; attends
workshops and training sessions as appropriate.
- Documents procedures, processes and creates tutorials and training materials
- Responds to requests for data and GIS support from user departments.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in city and department attendance policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if applicable, that of subordinates.
technical proficiency in the following: ArcGIS Desktop and various
extensions like 3D Analyst, Network Analyst and Spatial Analyst.
- Proficiency integrating, analyzing, and evaluating data for GIS-based decision support
- Demonstrated ability creating and customizing web maps and web applications in an enterprise GIS.
- Knowledge of computer hardware, software and peripherals.
ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and
treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
- Ability to focus on achieving goals, including those involving external departments, agencies, and the public.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
to multi-task in a high activity/energy professional environment that
includes multiple and concurrent projects and project deadlines, and
occasional interruptions and walk-in appointments.
- Ability to resolve problems in a timely, efficient, and effective manner.
- Ability to plan, coordinates, and organize work; set priorities and meet critical deadlines
- Comply with all city policies and procedures.
- Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
Degree from an accredited educational institution in Geography,
Computer Information Systems, Database Administration, or related field.
At least 2-3 years with GIS software and technologies, proficient in
the use of ESRI ArcGIS and related extensions, HTML, Python, SQL and
Microsoft Office Products.
Any work related experience
resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum
Qualifications may be an acceptable substitute for the above specified
education and experience requirements.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must pass a drug screen and background check.
- Must have Class C Texas Driver's License
involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to
light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or
pulling of objects and materials of light weight (25 pounds). Tasks may
involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station. Some
tasks require visual and sound perception and discrimination and oral
There is limited exposure to environmental conditions.
above statements describe the general nature and level of work being
performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to
be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and
skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will
be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by
management. The job description does not constitute an employment
agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are
subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals
The City of McKinney is an equal
opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace
and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color,
gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status,
disability or any other legally protected status.
AgencyCity of McKinney
201 W. Louisiana St.
McKinney, Texas, 75069