Geospatial Services Technician/Analyst
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Under general supervision performs a variety of routine to moderately difficult technical duties in developing and supporting the TRWD Enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, Geography, Computer Science, Survey, Geomatics, or related field.
- Competency with Esri ArcGIS software.
- Associates Degree in Computer Science, GIS, Survey, Geomatics, or related field, plus a minimum of two (2) years full-time hands-on experience in Esri ArcGIS software or survey grade GPS system may be substituted for Bachelor’s Degree.
- Valid Texas Driver License.
- Proficient in the use of ESRI ArcGIS, Trimble, and Microsoft Office software with experience and working knowledge of Trimble GPS equipment and the implementation of that data into ArcGIS.
- Experience working with Latitude Geographics’ Geocortex products, ArcGIS Online, or custom web application development.
- Three (3) years of increasing technical experience in GIS.
- Three (3) years of experience with Esri products.
- Two (2) years of demonstrated experience working with ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online, and working within an SDE Environment.
- Certification(s) in GIS or Survey.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Utilize ArcGIS software to visualize, manipulate, display, create, edit, query and analyze data stored in the TRWD Enterprise GIS, and ensures GIS/GPS data is accurate, useable, and current.
- Responsible for creating, developing, maintaining, and updating map and database layers in support of TRWD’s Enterprise GIS Operations.
- Responsible for creating accurate, customized, and visually appealing maps and reports for various District Departments.
- Creates and/or develops GIS data layers utilizing the most appropriate tools available to produce high quality results.
- Maintains proper documentation of map and database layers, to include metadata, data processing tasks, and data dictionaries.
- Responsible for providing GIS and GPS assistance and project support to District GIS users and Non-GIS Users, including troubleshooting software-related issues and\or performing complex spatial analysis of geographic data on their behalf.
- Familiarity with working within a multi-user ArcSDE environment. Understanding of versioning and basic database management and maintenance routines.
- Create, publish, and configure map and feature services utilizing ArcGIS Server.
- Understand and utilize linear referencing concepts.
- Utilize Trimble GPS and total station equipment to collect, locate and transmit collected data to a geodatabase as well as specialized equipment for surveying, locating, mapping, data collection and processing.
- Responsible for fulfilling map and data requests from TRWD staff to include data acquisition, map book creation, data conversion and reports.
- Utilize third party GIS software and tools to support TRWD Enterprise GIS operations.
- Manage tasks and projects as assigned by senior Geospatial Services Staff.
- Troubleshoot and repair of GIS and GPS hardware/software problems.
- Assist with GIS/GPS training and development of non-Geospatial Services departmental staff.
- Install GIS software as directed.
Nonessential functions and responsibilities:
- Assists with training and development of other GIS technical staff, and develops training materials as needed.
- Utilize advanced surveying techniques such as setting independent control and calibrating to local control.
- Capable of interpreting Plan & Profile drawings, As-Built drawings, Operations and Maintenance Manuals, and other Engineering related documents.
- Develop basic automated tools utilizing python and ArcGIS ModelBuilder.
- Participate in the development and testing of desktop/field surveying applications.
- Conduct CAD Data Conversion, CAD Data Inventory, and other activities as directed.
- Perform administrative duties such as copying, scanning, and typing.
- File and organize data and equipment within the department.
- Perform other duties as required.
Success factors/job competencies:
- Successful applicant will also have a good knowledge of and be self-sufficient with analysis processes utilizing Trimble Business Center and Esri ArcGIS software, and have good analytical, problem solving, and communication skills.
- Self-starter, strong work ethic, ability to handle and prioritize multiple work demands, ability to collect and process survey data in a timely manner.
- Good verbal and written communication skills for coordinating with Water District staff from various departments.
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically resides within an office or cubicle and may have occasional field work that will expose the employee to weather conditions prevalent at the time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will walk on difficult terrain, climb ladders, and enter into confined spaces.
- Equipment Use: Trimble RTK surveying equipment & software, Esri ArcGIS software, personal computer, printer, plotter, calculator, specialized equipment (survey instruments, GPS devices, cathodic protection meters, laser range finder, etc…).
Shannon Powell, PHR
Human Resources Generalist