Part Time GIS Technician
Department: Public Works
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Job Number: 63-16-64
Assists the Geographic Information System Manager (G.I.S. Manager)
with map production and maintenance of the City’s spatial data. This
regular part-time position will work approximately 20 to 29.5 hours per
week (hours will be arranged Monday through Friday between 8:00 A.M. and
5:00 P.M.). This regular part time position is TMRS eligible.
Essential Job Functions
- ASSISTS G.I.S. Manager with maintenance and development of City’s GIS.
- RESEARCHES and INTERPRETS engineering construction plans, plats,
legal metes and bounds descriptions, and extracts relevant information
for data entry.
- RESPONDS to internal and external GIS mapping and information requests.
- USES GPS to capture coordinates and descriptive information about features throughout the City.
- PROVIDES technical assistance and support to other GIS users throughout the city.
- SCANS and INDEXES construction plans for City’s document imaging system.
- ASSISTS Managing Director of Engineering and Construction with managing the City of Hurst Storm Water Management Program.
- ASSISTS with customer services, including responses to floodplain questions.
- ARRIVES at work on time and works assigned schedule.
- COMPLETES other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience editing in ESRI’s ArcGIS software suite.
- Skills in Microsoft Office, ArcServer, ArcSDE, and AutoCAD preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret subdivision plats, engineering plans, and legal descriptions.
- Ability to work and communicate effective with the public and City personnel.
- Ability to create and maintain accurate records with attention
to detail and to research and analyze technical materials and
- Ability to sit and walk for extended periods of time to operate equipment such as computer, printer, and GPS.
- Ability to provide customer service.
Minimum Education, Certification, and Experience Requirements
GIS coursework from an accredited program and valid Texas driver’s
license with an acceptable driving record required. Experience with
ESRI’s ArcGIS software and in local government GIS preferable.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Geography, Geographic Information
Systems or related field preferable.
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
City of Hurst is an Equal Opportunity Employer.